The mission of the South Carolina High School League is to provide governance and leadership for interscholastic athletic programs that promote, support, and enrich the educational experience of students.
The purpose of the League is to formulate and maintain policies in accordance with its mission and beliefs that will:
- safeguard the educational values of interscholastic athletic competition;
- advance high ideals of sportsmanship;
- develop and direct a program which will promote, protect and conserve the health and physical welfare of all participants; and
- promote uniformity of standards in all interscholastic athletic competition
We believe the South Carolina High School League, governed by its member schools, is the recognized state authority on interscholastic athletic programs.
We believe participation in interscholastic athletic programs is a privilege.
We believe interscholastic athletic programs should be student centered.
We believe interscholastic athletic programs should:
- enrich each student’s educational experience;
- promote student academic achievement;
- promote good citizenship and a healthy lifestyle;
- foster involvement with a diverse population;
- promote fair play, honesty, sportsmanship and equity;
- promote the participation of students in athletics and multiple sports.
We believe properly trained administrators, coaches, officials, and related support staff promote the educational mission of the academic program of our schools.
We believe interscholastic athletic programs promote positive school/community relationships.